Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thirteen months old

People have told me that the older your child gets, the faster the time passes. If month #13 is any indication, I'm in serious trouble!

Sara changed so much this month. From a physical standpoint, her top two teeth are now through and just about all the way in--with an adorable big ol' gap between them. :) Cognitively, though, she has changed even more. Up until a few weeks ago I wasn't convinced she understood anything I said. I was probably wrong, but that was how I felt. Now, I feel like she understands almost everything I say--whether she chooses to listen is a different question entirely. :)

She now has three consistent words in her expressive vocabulary: ball ("ba"), bye-bye, and more ("ma"). She will also stick out her tongue on command, and if she's in the mood, she'll also point to her nose (and say "na!") and her ear (and say "ah!"). Sometimes she'll say book ("boo") and shoe.

As far as the big "walking" question goes, she's getting very, very close. Today I saw her initiate taking a step on her own for the first time. She took about a step and a half before plopping down. She can walk with her push toy now. She's also cruising everywhere and getting into whatever mischief she can find. Although we have installed gates at the top and bottom of our stairs, she has now learned how to descend the stairs, which she enjoys practicing whenever we give her the opportunity. (Just please don't ask how we figured out she can do it. All I'll say is it's more evidence for my "Mother of the Year" award.)

What an exciting, fun month it has been! I can't wait to see what she figures out next!

No comments: