Thursday, April 23, 2009

Recipe review

In recent weeks I have been cooking a vegetarian meal--usually based on beans--once a week. I have been doing this because it is very healthy (I use dry beans, not canned) and because it is inexpensive. Larry is never excited about a meat-free meal, but he liked this one the best of all the vegetarian meals I have made. And Sara loved it!

Cuban Black Beans and Rice

Cuban Black Beans and Rice

Kan Kanbayashi

Makes 4 servings

Hands-on Time: 0hr 20m

Total Time: 0hr 40m

This recipe is: Kid Friendly, Quick & Easy

Ingredients

  • 1 cup long-grain white rice
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (next time I make it I will use two)
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • kosher salt and black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 15.5-ounce cans black beans, rinsed (I used dry beans that I cooked)
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 4 radishes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro

Directions

1. Cook the rice according to the package directions. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the cumin and cook for 1 minute.

2. Add the beans, oregano, and 1 cup water (I will probably increase the water a little next time). Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add the vinegar and smash some of the beans with the back of a fork to thicken.

3. Serve the beans over the rice and top with the radishes and cilantro.

Tip

Pack this hearty dish for lunch: Simply scoop the beans and rice into large tortillas or pitas.

Nutrition Per Serving

Calories 368; Fat 5g; Sat Fat 1g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 1077mg; Protein 14g; Carbohydrate 71g; Fiber 11g

Real Simple, March 2009

3 comments:

Stacey said...

That looks good! I never tried teh Cuban bean recipe I posted! I forgot to buy something for it. But I did print out a different one that looked even better! LOL We try to do a vegetarian meal at least once a week as well. We are tending to have meat more often the last few months, but we were in teh habit of only having meat about every other day for a while.

Anna Nussio said...

that's a great habit idea... I imagine it would make good leftovers as well? I will have to try this one. Are beans good for lowering cholesterol?

And, I have to ask - are dried beans healthier than canned?? I know they're cheaper (I try to use dried, also, for that reason).

We eat meat (or fish) every night. I try to do fish at least once a week - I know two would be better for health reasons but I only like to cook it the same day I buy it and I am trying to only do shopping once/week. Ever since I got pregnant with Sophie, I just crave proteins, and I still don't think I get enough!

Anonymous said...

Good for you for doing a vegetarian meal once a week. Not only is is good for you, but it's good for the environment as well!

Although I am back on meat now, I still have some pretty good veggie meals that I loved when I was off meat entirely. Have you tried lentils? They cook even faster than beans and are really good for you. Trader Joes has some that come pre-cooked. You should check them out. Also check out quinoa. It's high in protein and you can use it in a pilaf like rice.
hugs,K