Thursday, July 2, 2009

TWENTY months old



As my sister Tanja insists on reminding me on a nearly daily basis, Sara is just four short months away from the big 0-2. I can certainly see it coming now. Everyone always talks about the big differences between a newborn and a one-year-old, but the differences between 1 and 2 are almost as profound! We are now the parents of a little girl who will always be our baby, but she really isn't much of a baby anymore.

This month Sara continued to talk more and more, of course. She is occasionally very shy around even those she knows very well, but once she has had time to warm up, she will typically get past her shyness.

Sara loves food. More accurately, Sara's loves other people's snacks. She is "that kid" on the playground who stares at the kids eating Cheetos or graham crackers or whatever else until their parents offer her some. The problem is that she isn't happy with just one. She will gladly eat someone's entire bag of snacks! At the same time, Sara has become much more fickle when it comes to meals. She will sometimes absolutely refuse to try something, no matter how much I try to convince her that she will love it. Vegetables are especially problematic. I just keep trying!

Her obsession with "The Wheels on the Bus" continues, too. When she was sick last week I showed her some "Wheels on the Bus" videos on YouTube. Now, every time she sees my laptop, I hear, "I want bus." This child is very persistent! Apparently she thinks we have a hearing problem, because she just repeats it over.and over. and over! :) Do I hear the terrible twos calling?

Needless to say, we absolutely love our Baby Girl to bits. Sometimes when Sara is sitting on my lap I ask her, "Will you still be my baby when you're 30?"

"Yeah." ("Yeah" is probably her favorite word right now.)

"What about when you're 40? Will you still be my baby then?"

"Yeah."

What about when you're 50? Will you still be my baby?"

"Yeah."

My mom used to tell me all the time that I would always be her baby. And finally, I understand.

3 comments:

Anna Nussio said...

She is SO beautiful. This year between 1 and 2 is phenomenal. She looks so much more grown up to me already. I keep wanting to think of them as babies. But they're not. They're toddlers. Sniff sniff. I know what you mean. They will always be our babies.

Does your mom say that now that there are new babies in the family, though? lol I think as soon as Charlie appeared on the scene the new generation took over. :)

JenPen said...

Awwww...you just made me cry. :)

Michelle said...

I actually think there are morre changes between 1 and 2 than in the first year. Enjoy watching your baby groww and change over theese next 4 months.