Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Something I've dreaded

On Sunday I received a text message from a former student informing me that one of my other former students, Andrew Martinez, had been killed in a car accident Saturday night. Finding out was like being punched in the stomach, to be honest. This was an inevitability that I had always feared from the moment I began teaching. (Ironically enough, my student Christopher Murray committed double homicide a couple of years ago. That one it had never occurred to me to dread.)

About two weeks ago, Andrew found me on Facebook, a social networking tool that I spend too much time on these days. Prior to that, I hadn't spoken to him in probably four years. He graduated in 2001. I would have remembered him regardless, but to have spoken with him so recently has given his passing an extra little pinch of sadness.

Andrew was the kind of kid I have always enjoyed teaching. He was outspoken, witty, intelligent, and respectful. He wasn't necessarily the most conscientious student in the room, but he had a lot to offer in class and interesting ideas. Andrew's biggest passion was music. I remember seeing the chorus to Incubus's "Pardon Me" scrawled across the front of his binder, and it reminded me of my own teenage angst, so I kind of liked it.

When I ran into Andrew a few years ago at the Brea Mall, he was getting ready to tour with his band, Up Syndrome. He even gave me a copy of his CD. He was so excited to be pursuing his dream--something he continued to do up until his passing on early Sunday morning.



Andrew, I'm so sorry that your life was so short. I'm very proud of and inspired by the passion with which you lived your life. Thank you for sharing that lesson with everyone who knew you.

No comments: