Sunday, May 18, 2008

Six months old...and then some

Yikes! I'm very late in getting this one up, but the days before Sara's six-month "birthday" were consumed with travel preparations and a sick little baby. The week since our return has been filled with unpacking, laundry, and conquering jet lag--not to mention Mother's Day and my birthday. ;)

Okay, enough excuses. Our sweet baby girl is now half a year old! The time continues to fly by as quickly as everyone promised me it would. I feel like maybe two months have passed, yet here I sit with a 17 pound baby. At her well-baby checkup on Friday, Sara did beautifully. She really turned on the charm for the pediatrician and was all smiles. She's still in the 50th percentile for height and weight, but--get this--her head is almost in the 90th percentile. Now, I'm not naming names, but one of her parents is known for having an impressively large head--and it ain't me. ;) If she develops a complex about this someday, we know whom to blame, don't we?

In terms of milestones, there is so much going on with Baby Girl at the moment. She is now consistently rolling from belly-to-back, but back-to-belly continues to elude us. She is getting better and better at sitting up unsupported, though I still can't leave her like that, because she will eventually flop over. (I am embarrassed to admit that her head has already bonked on the floor more than once.) Absolutely everything goes in her mouth right now (especially her toes!), and she's easily transferring objects from hand-to-hand. She has always talked a lot, but we're still waiting for "Mamamamamama" or "Dadadadadada."

Needless to say, we adore her as much as ever!


You can click on the slideshow to view a larger version.

One more quick note--

First a little self-congratulations. I am proud to report that I managed to breastfeed exclusively for the first six months (i.e., she has never had formula or anything else). I recently learned that only 11% of mothers give breastmilk exclusively for that duration. So, go me! If you're wondering about solid foods, we just started them yesterday. When I get caught up on my blogging, a post on that will be coming!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

She is just too cute! I am loving all the expressions! : )

Anonymous said...

Tina, congrats on breastfeeding exclusively for 6 months! Your sweetie is so lucky for your love and milk!

Happy 6-months, Sara! You're just too beautiful for words!

Stacey said...

She is just absolutely adorable!!! COngrats on breastfeeding! I know that it can be a challenge sometimes! I am at 10 months with Abby and hoping to go the full 12 months.

Dawn said...

She's so gorgeous! I almost miss her serious little expression though, but love all the sweet, sweet smiles!

Congrats on reaching that milestone!

JenPen said...

Can she get any sweeter??? CONGRATS on 6 months of ebf!!!!!